Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Positive Leaders and Community Builders with a Growth Mindset

Health Room Services

Our school has a Registered Nurse or a health room assistant who is available every day. Our school nurse coordinates the school health program and acts as a liaison between school personnel, community organizations, and medical resources.  Our office staff is trained to assist students with minor first aid and minor illnesses.  We report illnesses of students to parents and follows the school district policies and the DHEC exclusion policies for South Carolina schools and daycares as to whether a student should go home due to illness or injury. 

DHEC Guidelines in English: 

DHEC Guidelines in Spanish: 


Students with a temperature of 100˚ or above will be sent home.  All students are to be fever free for 24 hours without Tylenol, Motrin, etc. before returning to school. In addition, any student who is vomiting will be sent home.

For student safety, we must have your current address and phone number(s), plus another emergency number on file in the health room. Medication that is taken during the school day is stored in a secure location. The school nurse/health room assistant/office staff is trained to assist students with medication during the school day in accordance with the school district’s policy (JLCD-R) for assisting students with medications (Effective 9/5/2006).

The school district medication permission form must be completed by a parent/guardian and a physician’s signature is required for all medications taken at school. This includes all medications (over the counter and prescription.) All medications (including over the counter, including cough drops/lozenges) must be in the original pharmacy labeled container.  All medication (prescription and over the counter, including cough drops/lozenges) must be brought in by an adult.  Please do not send any medication with a student. The parent/guardian must assume the responsibility of informing school personnel of any changes in the medication routine or student’s health status. 

Illness and Injury at School:  

Students who become ill at school may obtain a pass from their teacher to go to the office.  If it is determined that a student is too ill to attend classes, arrangements will be made for the student to go home.  Students who are too sick to be in class are too sick to be in school.  Your child should be 24 hours “fever free” before returning to school.  If your child is on medication or his condition will not permit him to take part in P.E. activities you should notify his/her teacher in writing with a doctor’s excuse.  The school attempts to provide a safe environment for your child.  If accidents do occur, a member of the faculty will render first aid and notify parents or the family physician.  Any treatment beyond first aid will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.


According to the Kershaw County School District policy and DHEC guidelines, children with lice are sent home at the end of the school day. Parents must provide proof of treatment. Children who are found to have head lice upon returning are sent home.

Medication During School: 

Because the needs of students who require medication during school hours should be met in a safe and prudent manner, the Department of Education and DHEC established guidelines for assisting with medications during school hours. These procedures are also in accordance with the Kershaw County School District’s Policy on Medications. Whenever possible, morning doses of medication should be given at home to minimize disruption in the school day. Many medications can be given around the school schedule. Consult your physician for assistance scheduling medications around school hours. When medications are necessary during the school day, the following procedures must be followed.

  • All medications, prescription and non-prescription, require a doctor’s order. A completed Permission for Medication form, available on the district website or from the school, must be completed by a doctor and signed by the parent or legal guardian in order for any medication to be given at school.
  • All medication should be brought to school by the parent or legal guardian in the original container. Prescription medication must be in the original pharmacy bottle and must contain a pharmacy label including the student’s name, date, medication name, dosage, strength, and directions for use, which includes frequency, duration, mode of administration, prescriber name, and pharmacy name and address. Non-prescription medication must be in the original manufacturer’s container.
  • All prescription and non-prescription medication will be inventoried by the school nurse every three months. Out of stock medications will be picked up by the parent or destroyed by the school nurse.  An inventory of destroyed medications will be maintained.
  • Terminated medication, or medication remaining at the end of the school year, must be taken home within 2 days, or it will be disposed of by the principal or his/her designee.
  • Permission for medication forms, and medication administration records, will be maintained in the student’s health record.
  • Students with serious medical conditions should provide all needed medications along with district permission forms and medical orders.  All medical procedures, including, catheterizing, suctioning, blood sugar management, and tube feedings require medical orders before they can be carried out.
  • All medication and medical procedure orders must be updated at the beginning of every school year.
  • Students with special health-care needs who require that they keep medication with them during the school day must complete Permission for Student to self –Monitor/ Self-Administer Medication form, available on the district website or from the school nurse. This form must be on file in order for a student to carry any medication.
  • If medications are needed on the bus, during field studies, for extracurricular activities, or for after school clubs, the parent must contact the nurse to make necessary arrangements.
  • First doses of new medications must be given at home by the parent.
  • No more than a 30 day stock of controlled medications will be stored at the school.
  • All medications must be provided by the parent. The school does not have stock medications.


Parents are reminded that immunization requirements for school are mandated by South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.  Please see your physician or school nurse for current mandated immunization requirements.  A completed South Carolina Immunization Certificate, Medical Exemption Form, or Religious Exemption Form is required for registration and enrollment. These forms can be obtained from your child’s physician or from the Kershaw County Health Department.

DHEC Requirements:  

Students with Special Health Care Needs:  

Many health care services can be provided for students to keep them at school where they can learn and participate with other students.  Our goal is to provide information to parents and legal guardians about some of the services and programs available for addressing the health care needs of students during the school day to help students succeed in school.  It is important that the necessary health care information is shared with the appropriate people – such as teachers on duty during recess, bus drivers, and cafeteria employees – to make sure that the students’ needs are met throughout the school day.

Individual Health Care Plans or Individual Health Plans (IHPs):  

Individual health care plans are also called individual health plans or IHPs. School nurses who are registered nurses write IHPs to guide how a student’s health care needs will be met while at school. The nurse works with the student, the student’s parents or legal guardians, the student’s health care provider, and other school staff to write the plan. IHPs are written for students who have special health care needs that must be met by school staff during the school day.  IHPs are also written for students who have been approved by the school district to self-medicate or self-monitor.  To learn more about IHPs, talk with your child’s school nurse.