Family Engagement Policy
Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy
Jackson School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
Jackson School agrees to be governed by the following statutory definition of parent and family engagement, and will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parent and family engagement means the participation of parents and families with school personnel working together with regular and meaningful communication involving student development, health, academic learning, and other school activities, including ensuring--
(A) parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
Jackson School will implement required school Parent and Family Engagement Policy components as follows:
- Jackson School will involve parents in the joint development of its Parent and Family Engagement Policy in an organized, ongoing, and timely manner through the Annual Title I meeting and other meetings as needed.
- Jackson School will take the following actions to distribute to parents of participating children the Parent and Family Engagement Policy:
- The School Parent and Family Engagement Policy will be distributed to parents.
- Parents of identified participating students will receive the policy upon notification of eligibility for Title I services.
- Jackson School will periodically update its Parent and Family Engagement Policy to meet the changing needs of parents, families, and the school through the Annual Title I meeting and other meetings as needed.
- Jackson School will convene an Annual meeting to inform parents of the following:
- That Jackson School participates in Title I,
- The requirements of Title I
- Meetings will be held at various and convenient times to encourage parents to attend. Parents will be notified about meetings through school memos, newsletters, the web page, etc.
- Jackson School will provide information about Title I programs to parents of participating children in a timely manner through the memos, newsletters, the web page, etc..
- Jackson School will provide parents of participating children with a description and explanation of the curriculum in use at the school, the forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet through:
- the Annual Title I parent meeting
- regular parent/teacher conferences
If requested by parents, Jackson School will provide parents of participating children opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children, and respond to any such suggestions as soon as practicably possible:
- through pre-arranged meetings with the Title I Coordinator
- through meetings with the student’s teacher which may include the Title I Coordinator, the principal, and other staff as appropriate.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR HIGH STUDENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
- Jackson School will build the school’s and parents’ capacity for strong parent and family engagement in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership between the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- Jackson School will incorporate the student/parent/school compact as a component of its School Parent and Family Engagement Policy:
- The school-parent compact will be a part of the School Parent and Family Engagement Policy and will be a part of the Student Handbook.
- The school-parent compact will be completed and signed by the teacher, the parent(s), and the student.
- As needed, the school-parent compact will be included in school newsletters along with the Parent and Family Engagement Policy.
- Jackson School will, with the assistance of the district, provide assistance to parents of children served by the school in understanding topics such as the following:
- the State’s academic standards,
- the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
- the requirements of Title I,
- how to monitor their child’s progress, and
- how to work with educators:
- As appropriate, Jackson School will, with the assistance of the district, provide materials and training such as literacy training and using technology to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement and to foster parent and family involvement.
- Jackson School will, with the assistance of the district and parents, educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and schools.
- Jackson School will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, make sure that information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand.